New Energy Label since 1. March 2021
The European Commission has adopted revisions to several energy efficiency regulations. This includes a revised look for the well-known energy label and a tightening of the energy efficiency requirements.
- TVs (updated) and monitors (new)
- Dishwashers (updated)
- Refrigerators and freezers (incl. wine refrigerators, minibars) (updated)
- Washing machines and washer-driers (not tumble driers) (updated)
- Commercial refrigerators with a direct sales function (new)
- Lighting products (lamps updated, luminaires new, since 1 September 2021)
- The reintroduction of the original A-G scale and the elimination of the confusing A+, A++ and A+++ energy classes. I.e. the most efficient appliances on the market were given class A.
- A previous A+++ appliance may have an energy class of B, C or less since spring 2021. Thus, there is an incentive to develop new, more efficient appliances in the future.
- Rescaling goes along with stricter efficiency requirements. For lighting products, for example, an increased efficiency of up to 70 % can be expected.
|Category||Minimum requirements in the EU
as of March, resp. September 2021
|Refrigerators & Freezers||min. class F|
|Washing Machines, Washer-driers||all classes permitted|
|Dishwashers||all classes permitted|
|TVs & Monitors||all classes permitted|
|Lighting (Lamps and Luminaires with integrated Lamps)||Standby not higher than 0.5 W
all classes permitted
||min. class F
|All other Commercial Refrigerated Appliances with a Direct Sales Function||Appliances with EEI (Energy Efficiency Index) below 100 permitted
The design of the new energy label, here an example for washing machines:
Similar reviews or new regulations will be introduced for other categories over the next years. For the other product categories that already have an energy label, the old energy labels will remain in place for the time being.
Why were there two energy labels in my newly purchased household appliance in 2021?
Adjusting the Topten selection criteria to the new regulations
The most important criteria at the time of the entry into force of the new labels can be found in this table:
|Category||Minimum requirements for Listing on Topten|
|Refrigerators & Freezers||min. class D|
|Washing Machines <8kg||min. class D|
|Washing Machines =/>8kg||min. class B|
|Dishwashers||min. class B|
Further details, additional product categories and transitional provisions are still being specified.
- New EU Energy Label for Lighting
- New EU Energy Label for Electronic Displays (TVs & Monitors)
- New EU Energy Label for Dishwashers
- New EU Energy Label for Refrigerators and Freezers
- New EU Energy Label for Washing Machines and Washer-Driers
- New EU Energy Label for Commercial Refrigerators with a Direct Sales Function