Topten policy recommendations
Topten deduces its policy recommendations from our overview on the most energy efficient products in different product categories. The policy recommendations can be downloaded as pdf:
Revision of the Energy Label Directive
Commercial Display Cabinets (refrigerators and freezers)
Professional storage cabinets (refrigerators and freezers)
Electronic Displays (TVs, monitors)
Swiss appliance sales 2004 - 2014: Analysis and recommendations for EU market monitoring
Publications about Topten
- What others say about Topten: statements by key stakeholders 2011 - 2014
- Topten global annual report 2014, April 2015.
- Topten Global Annual Report 2013, July 2014.
- 2012 Topten Global Annual report, May 2013.
- The Topten manual 'Selecting the most energy efficient products' summarizes the Topten programme and its mechanisms. October 2012.
- Euro-Topten Max: Click your way to energy saving. February 2015.
- Euro-Topten plus: Click your way to energy savings. IEE final project report. February 2012.
Publications by Topten
Procurement and usage Recommendations
- Washing at 20°C is Cool. Topten documentation. March 2014.
- Professional Procurement of energy-efficient Refrigerators: Recommendations for Restaurants, Take-away, Retail Stores and Hotels. February 2014.
Main reports and discussion papers
- Topten position on the revision of energy labelling Directive, updated 17th December 2015: Topten supports the Commission's proposal, but recommends to better consider absolute energy consumption.
- Energy efficiency of White Goods in Europe: monitoring the market with sales data. Full report / short summary version. Refrigerators, washing machines and tumble driers in the EU, France and Portugal. Anette Michel, Sophie Attali, Eric Bush. June 3rd 2015.
- Why and how Europe should introduce mandatory product registration and a public database for energy related products. A recommendations and discussion paper. 5. November 2015. Updated version from:
- Why Europe should introduce mandatory product registration and a public database for energy related products. Discussion paper. Anette Michel, Sophie Attali, Eric Bush, Alun Jones. 12. November 2014.
- European TV market 2007 - 2013. Second report, complemented with 2013 sales data. Anette Michel, Sophie Attali, Eric Bush, July 2014.
- European TV market 2007 - 2012: Energy efficiency before and during the implementation of the Ecodesign and Energy Labelling regulations. Anette Michel, Sophie Attali, Eric Bush, Topten International Services, July 2013, complemented October 2013.
- Swiss appliances sales, 2004 - 2015. S.A.F.E. and FEA, August 2016.
- Factors influencing the penetration of energy efficient electrical appliances into national markets in Europe. S. Attali, E. Bush, A. Michel for Defra / the Market Transformation Programme. June 2009.
- Anette Michel: Household refrigerators: Monitoring efficiency changes in Europe and Australia over the last 10 years. Paper and presentation.
- Anette Michel: Monitoring the washing machines market in Europe. Paper and presentation.
- Barbara Josephy: Cold wash – Tests on the washing performance. Paper and presentation.
- Eric Bush: Heat Pump Tumble Driers: Market Development in Europe and MEPS in Switzerland. Paper and presentation.
- Eva Geilinger: Commercial and Professional Refrigeration Products: Promoting Energy Efficiency with Legislation, Empowered Stakeholders and Rebates. Paper and presentation.
- Eva Geilinger: Luminaire efficiency: what mandatory and voluntary labels achieve, and what they should achieve in the future. Paper and presentation.
- Luting Huang: Top10 Sticker: A Sufficiency and Efficiency Purchase Guide in China. Paper and presentation.
- Luting Huang: Study of Chinese New EES for Variable-Speed Air- conditioners, Washing Machines and Panel-TVs. Paper and presentation.
- Edouard Toulouse: Lessons from a decade of efficient product market analysis. Paper and presentation.
- Anette Michel: What is an energy efficient TV? Trying to find the best TV in China and in Europe. Paper and presentation.
- Anette Michel: Systematic market monitoring: a pilot project on TVs demonstrates the value for policy design. Paper and presentation.
- Barbara Josephy: Cold wash - Do prejudices impede high energy saving potentials? Paper and presentation.
- Eric Bush and Christopher Granda: Heat Pump Tumble Driers: New EU Energy Label and Ecodesign requirements in Europe, MEPS in Switzerland, Initiatives in North America. Paper and presentation.
- Eva Geilinger: Best available technology of plug-in refrigerated cabinets, beverage coolers and ice cream freezers and the challenges of measuring and comparing energy efficiency. Paper and presentation.
- Eva Geilinger: Office Luminaires: Voluntary labels can pave the way to the next level in energy saving. Paper and presentation.
Topten presentations at the 2013 eceee Summer Study in France, June 2013:
- Michel, Bush, Hu Bo, Attali: Finding the most energy efficient TV in China and in Europe: not such an easy job...
- Attali, Bush, Michel, Toulouse: Can Europe continue deciding on product policies (MEPS, labels, etc.) without monitoring the market?
- Granda, Wold, Bush: Market transformation for clothes dryers: lessons learned from the European experience
Topten presentations at the EEDAL '11 conference in Copenhagen, May 2011:
- Barbara Josephy: Super efficient coffee machines - best available technology and market transformation
- Barbara Josephy: Washing machines: Key criteria for best available technology
- Eric Bush, Sophie Attali and Hu Bo: Topten: Global project for the most energy efficient products
- Anette Michel and Hu Bo: Energy efficient room air conditioners - best available technology
- Sophie Attali: Factors influencing the penetration of energy efficient appliances into national markets in Europe
- Rita Werle: Energy efficient heat pump dryers - European experiences and efforts in the U.S. and Canada
- Eva Geilinger: Testing and rating of domestic luminaires - experiences from Switzerland
Topten contributions to the 2011 eceee summer study in France, June 2011:
- Barbara Josephy: Changing washing machines and driers: Let's have a look at the laundry room
- Jürg Nipkow, Barbara Josephy: For a tasty but efficient coffee
- Sophie Attali, Eric Bush: Topten Europe, USA and China: Reaching a critical mass to face the global appliance market