Topten policy recommendations
Topten deduces its policy recommendations from our overview on the most energy efficient products in different product categories. The policy recommendations can be downloaded as pdf:
Revision of the Energy Label Directive
Commercial Display Cabinets (refrigerators and freezers)
Professional storage cabinets (refrigerators and freezers)
Electronic Displays (TVs, monitors)
Swiss appliance sales 2004 - 2014: Analysis and recommendations for EU market monitoring
Publications about Topten
- What others say about Topten: statements by key stakeholders 2011 - 2014
- Topten global annual report 2014, April 2015.
- Topten Global Annual Report 2013, July 2014.
- 2012 Topten Global Annual report, May 2013.
- The Topten manual 'Selecting the most energy efficient products' summarizes the Topten programme and its mechanisms. October 2012.
- Euro-Topten Max: Click your way to energy saving. February 2015.
- Euro-Topten plus: Click your way to energy savings. IEE final project report. February 2012.
Publications by Topten
Procurement and usage Recommendations
- Washing at 20°C is Cool. Topten documentation. March 2014.
- Professional Procurement of energy-efficient Refrigerators: Recommendations for Restaurants, Take-away, Retail Stores and Hotels. February 2014.
Main reports and discussion papers
- Energy efficiency of White Goods in Europe: monitoring the market with sales data. Updated version, with sales data up to 2015 for refrigerators, washing machines and tumble driers, in the EU, France, Germany and Italy. Anette Michel, Sophie Attali, Eric Bush. December 2016.
- Energy efficiency of White Goods in Europe: monitoring the market with sales data. Full report / short summary version. Refrigerators, washing machines and tumble driers in the EU, France and Portugal. Anette Michel, Sophie Attali, Eric Bush. June 3rd 2015.
- Why and how Europe should introduce mandatory product registration and a public database for energy related products. A recommendations and discussion paper. 5. November 2015. Updated version from:
- Why Europe should introduce mandatory product registration and a public database for energy related products. Discussion paper. Anette Michel, Sophie Attali, Eric Bush, Alun Jones. 12. November 2014.
- European TV market 2007 - 2013. Second report, complemented with 2013 sales data. Anette Michel, Sophie Attali, Eric Bush, July 2014.
- European TV market 2007 - 2012: Energy efficiency before and during the implementation of the Ecodesign and Energy Labelling regulations. Anette Michel, Sophie Attali, Eric Bush, Topten International Services, July 2013, complemented October 2013.
- Swiss appliances sales, 2004 - 2015. S.A.F.E. and FEA, August 2016.
- Factors influencing the penetration of energy efficient electrical appliances into national markets in Europe. S. Attali, E. Bush, A. Michel for Defra / the Market Transformation Programme. June 2009.
- Anette Michel: Household refrigerators: Monitoring efficiency changes in Europe and Australia over the last 10 years. Paper and presentation.
- Anette Michel: Monitoring the washing machines market in Europe. Paper and presentation.
- Barbara Josephy: Cold wash – Tests on the washing performance. Paper and presentation.
- Eric Bush: Heat Pump Tumble Driers: Market Development in Europe and MEPS in Switzerland. Paper and presentation.
- Eva Geilinger: Commercial and Professional Refrigeration Products: Promoting Energy Efficiency with Legislation, Empowered Stakeholders and Rebates. Paper and presentation.
- Eva Geilinger: Luminaire efficiency: what mandatory and voluntary labels achieve, and what they should achieve in the future. Paper and presentation.
- Luting Huang: Top10 Sticker: A Sufficiency and Efficiency Purchase Guide in China. Paper and presentation.
- Luting Huang: Study of Chinese New EES for Variable-Speed Air- conditioners, Washing Machines and Panel-TVs. Paper and presentation.
- Edouard Toulouse: Lessons from a decade of efficient product market analysis. Paper and presentation.
- Anette Michel: What is an energy efficient TV? Trying to find the best TV in China and in Europe. Paper and presentation.
- Anette Michel: Systematic market monitoring: a pilot project on TVs demonstrates the value for policy design. Paper and presentation.
- Barbara Josephy: Cold wash - Do prejudices impede high energy saving potentials? Paper and presentation.
- Eric Bush and Christopher Granda: Heat Pump Tumble Driers: New EU Energy Label and Ecodesign requirements in Europe, MEPS in Switzerland, Initiatives in North America. Paper and presentation.
- Eva Geilinger: Best available technology of plug-in refrigerated cabinets, beverage coolers and ice cream freezers and the challenges of measuring and comparing energy efficiency. Paper and presentation.
- Eva Geilinger: Office Luminaires: Voluntary labels can pave the way to the next level in energy saving. Paper and presentation.
Topten presentations at the 2013 eceee Summer Study in France, June 2013:
- Michel, Bush, Hu Bo, Attali: Finding the most energy efficient TV in China and in Europe: not such an easy job...
- Attali, Bush, Michel, Toulouse: Can Europe continue deciding on product policies (MEPS, labels, etc.) without monitoring the market?
- Granda, Wold, Bush: Market transformation for clothes dryers: lessons learned from the European experience
Topten presentations at the EEDAL '11 conference in Copenhagen, May 2011:
- Barbara Josephy: Super efficient coffee machines - best available technology and market transformation
- Barbara Josephy: Washing machines: Key criteria for best available technology
- Eric Bush, Sophie Attali and Hu Bo: Topten: Global project for the most energy efficient products
- Anette Michel and Hu Bo: Energy efficient room air conditioners - best available technology
- Sophie Attali: Factors influencing the penetration of energy efficient appliances into national markets in Europe
- Rita Werle: Energy efficient heat pump dryers - European experiences and efforts in the U.S. and Canada
- Eva Geilinger: Testing and rating of domestic luminaires - experiences from Switzerland
Topten contributions to the 2011 eceee summer study in France, June 2011:
- Barbara Josephy: Changing washing machines and driers: Let's have a look at the laundry room
- Jürg Nipkow, Barbara Josephy: For a tasty but efficient coffee
- Sophie Attali, Eric Bush: Topten Europe, USA and China: Reaching a critical mass to face the global appliance market