Sustainable Professional Refrigerators
Tools and information for buyers and suppliers
ProCold is an EU-project aiming to improve energy efficiency in plug-in cabinets and speed up the switch to climate-friendly refrigerants. There is an energy saving potential of around 50%.
The project provides help for manufacturers, suppliers, food and beverage companies, retailers, gastronomy, hotels, public authorities, media and other stakeholders.
Objectives of the project:
- Showcasing best products
- Supporting green procurement
- Helping to implement effective policies
Best products lists
Topten.eu shows Europe's best-in-class professional refrigerators
National best products lists
How to submit products for Topten
- Submit the product information to Eva Geilinger, gewerbe (at) topten.ch, 0041 44 362 92 38
- Overview of criteria and accepted testing standards (download PDF)
Rebates in Switzerland
- For Topten products 25% of the purchase price are reimbursed
- The appliance must be located in Switzerland
- More infos under www.topten.eu/rebates
Award for Europe's best products
In five categories the most energy efficient professional and commercial cold appliances will be awarded by a representative of the European Commission during EuroShop 2017 and further promoted at Host 2017.
- Vertical chilled storage cabinets
- Beverage coolers
- Small ice cream freezers
- Vertical supermarket refrigerator cabinets
- Refrigerated glass fronted vending machines
|Publication of competition rules: 15 January 2016
|Deadline for submission: 30 September 2016
|Award ceremony at EuroShop between 5 - 9 March 2017
|Host 20 - 24 October 2017
Submission and more infos here.
This excel tool is easy to use and calculates CO2 savings as well as energy and cost savings of Topten models compared to other products (download excel).
Storage refrigerators & freezers
From 1 July 2016, the EU energy label for professional refrigerated storage cabinets will be mandatory. It will show:
- the energy efficiency class,
- the annual electricity consumption in kWh per year,
- the sum of the net volumes of all chilled compartments functioning at chilled operating temperature,
- the sum of the net volumes of all chilled compartments functioning at frozen operating temperature,
- and the climate class (3, 4 or 5) together with the associated dry bulb temperature (in °C) and the relative humidity (in %).
Document: Commission delegated regulation (EU) 2015/1094
The Eco Guide from Electrolux gives a good introduction to the new label.
Requirements for energy efficiency of professional refrigerated storage cabinets:
- From 1 July 2016: EEI < 115
- From 1 January 2018: EEI < 95
- From 1 July 2019: EEI < 85
Heavy-duty cabinets must only meet the first stage of the requirements (from 1 July 2016: EEI < 115).
Refrigerator-freezers and blast cabinets are excempt from the label and do not have to meet any requirements for energy efficiency. But product information concerning energy consumption will have to be provided in the instruction booklet and on websites from 1 July 2016:
- For refrigerator-freezers: the complete set of specifications (see in original document below) except not the EEI but instead the indicative daily energy consumption
- For blast cabinets: the full load capacity of the cabinet (kg), the standard temperature cycle (from X°C down to X°C in X minutes), its energy consumption (kWh per kg) and type, name and GWP of the refrigerant
Document: Commission regulation (EU) 2015/1095
Refrigerated display cabinets
An EU energy label for commercial refrigerated display cabinets is being planned. It will likely be adopted in 2017 and become mandatory in 2018. Next step in policy process: Interservice consultation in fall 2016 (earliest).
Minibars and wine coolers
Minibars and wine coolers are labelled with the same EU energy label as household refrigerating appliances.
||pro-cold (at) topten.eu
||+41 44 362 92 38
|+43 1 586 15 24 120
||seven (at) svn.cz
||+42 224 252 115
||sattali (at) guidetopten.fr
||+33 1 83 94 82 09
||Guide Topten (Paris)
||r.priess (at) oeko.de
||+49 761 45 295 264
||Öko-Institut e.V. (Freiburg)
||andrea.roscetti (at) polimi.it
||+39 02 23 993 893
||Politecnico di Milano (Milano)
||topten (at) quercus.pt
||+35 1 213 462 210
|+46 702 401 722
||eva.geilinger (at) topten.ch
||+41 44 362 92 38
Sign up for regular ProCold mailings:
The sole responsibility for the content of the «ProCold» project lies with the authors. It does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the European Union. Neither the EASME nor the European Commission and the project partners are responsible for any use that may be made of the information contained therein.