Selection criteria Inkjet printers and multifunctional devices
Topten.eu (Best products of Europe) presents the most energy efficient inkjet printers and multifunctional devices for the standard paper size (A4 and A3) of Europe.
In order to be displayed on www.topten.eu, inkjet imaging devices must
- Actually be available in at least one European country
- Have Single Ink technology (ink cartridges can be replaced separately)
- Be registred at Energy Star or meet comparable requirements
- Have a maximum power of 1.5 Watt, when in Sleep mode
- Producers’ declarations, found in catalogues and on the web or on request
- National data-bases and Topten-sites such as www.topten.ch
Order of presentation
Products are ranked according to their annual electricity cost, which has been calculated by topten. The order of presentation can be changed by clicking the tables’ headings.
Electricity costs (€ in 5 years)
- Printers: 24 hours in Sleep mode mode
- Multifunctionals: 24 hours in Sleep mode
- Costs for electricity when in Sleep mode during 10 years (device’s mean life time)
- Tariff of electricity : 0.20 €/kWh. (This should be understood as order of magnitude as there can be large differences depending on country or electrical utility.)
The real electricity costs strongly depend on individual user behaviour.
Printing speed, b/w and colour (ipm)
Maximum printing speed in pages (A4) per minute (ipm), measured according to ISO/IEC 24734.
Power Off (Watt)
Power input in Watt when switched off, but not disconnected. Since January 2013, the max. allowed power in Off mode is 0.5W.
Power Sleep (W)
Power input when in the Sleep mode, in Watt. The Sleep mode is the mode of lowest power input which can be automatically reached by a device without switching off (definition by Energy Star). To reach functionality from this mode can be connected with a time lag.
Functions / Options
C = Copy, P= Print, S= Scan, F= Fax
Maximum paper size.
Maximum resolution when printing or copying (dpi = dot per inch)
Also called duplexing: capability to print on both sides of a sheet.
Yes= this mode is as a standard included in this product.
No= this mode is not contained and cannot be integrated into this product.
Option= this mode can be integrated to the product for a higher price.
Available in countries
This item displays the availability of models in European countries according to producers’ declarations, national Topten sites. "EU" means all countries of the European Union. However, the availability is sometimes difficult to define precisely depending on retailers' selling decisions or if the supply is stated as possible on catalogues but there is no marketing for specific products in some countries.
"On demand" means, that producers could not indicate the availability and that consumers have to ask in their countries on their own. The country codes are according to ISO.
Standards and Labels
- TCO Stockholm (Sweden)
- FSC Forest Stewardship Council
- The european council for an energy efficient economy eceee provides a status overview on all products in the Ecodesign & Energy Labelling process
- Coolproducts informs about the EU ecodesign process. It is a coalition of NGOs' campaign for a stronger, fast Ecodesign Directive to save the climate and money.
- SELINA: EU project on Standby and Off mode losses in new appliances measured in Shops
Producers and retailers are kindly asked to contact info[at]topten.info to inform about more products which meet the topten selection criteria.