Selection Criteria Lamps
Topten.eu presents the most energy efficient lamps. In addition to efficiency, all presented lamps meet ambitious criteria regarding life time and switching cycles. Presented categories:
- LED classic lamps, lamp bases E27 and E14
- LED spots, lamp bases E27, E14, GU10 (230V) and GU5.3 (12V)
All lamps on www.topten.eu (Best Products of Europe) meet the following criteria:
- Energy efficiency:
- LED classic lamps: A++
- LED spots: A++ and A+ with min. 70 lm/W
- Life time: min. 15’000 hours
- Switching cycles: min. 20'000
Manufacturers must provide product information compliant with EU regulations No 874/2012 and No 1194/2012.
||Equivalent power (typical)
|LED classic lamps
|E27, less bright
||200 - 400 lm
||401 - 750 lm
||751 - 900 lm
|E27, very bright
||901 - 1200 lm
||75 -100 W
|E14, classic shape
||200 - 500 lm
||25 -40 W
|E14, candles, less bright
||100 - 300 lm
|E14, candles, medium/bright
||301 - 806 lm
||100 - 300 lm
||301 - 600 lm
||100 - 400 lm
||401 - 700 lm
Order of Presentation
Products are ranked according to their luminous efficacy. The order of presentation can be changed by clicking the tables’ headings.
Brand and Model
Brand with link to website. When there are multiple models, they are listed in a separate row (e.g. dimmable or not, various wattages, various radiation angles).
According to the following assumptions:
- Product’s lifetime: 15 years
- Energy consumption: On for 1'000 hours per year (2.7 hours daily)
- Tariff of electricity: 0.20 €/kWh (this should be understood as order of magnitude as there can be large differences depending on country or electrical utility)
Lamp base (detail)
- E27: Edison screw base with diameter 27 mm
- E14: Edison screw base with diameter 14 mm
- GU10: distance of pins 10 mm
- GU5.3: distance of pins 5.3 mm
Energy efficiency class according to EU Regulation No 874/2012. Most efficent is A++, least efficient is D. Class E products are banned.
|Energy index non-directional
|Energy index spots (directional)
The luminous flux is measured in lumens (lm). Nominal value.
Electrical power in watts (W). Nominal value.
Lumens per watt
Luminous efficacy in lumens per watt (lm/W). Nominal values for LED classical lamps, rated values for LED spots.
Claimed equivalent incandescent lamp power in watts (W) according to EU regulation No 1194/2012.
Luminous flux LED lamp:
Claimed equivalent incandescent lamp power:
Lamp life time
Lamp life time in hours (h). For domestic lighting 1'000 hours is considered one year of usage (2.7 hours per day).
Switching cycles indicate the number of times the lamp can be switched on and off before failure (on average).
Colour temperature (detail)
The light colour of a lamp is defined in terms of its colour temperature in degrees Kelvin (K). There are three main colour groups: warm whites < 3300 K; neutral whites 3300 K - 5000 K and daylight whites > 5000 K.
Code 827 means: colour rendering index CRI is 80 (first digit) and colour temperature 2700 K (last two digits).
Length and Diameter (detail)
Dimensions of the lamp in millimeters (mm). LED lamps and spots are sometimes larger than the old incandescent lamps and may not fit in all installations / luminaires.
Standards and Labels
- Commission Regulation (EU) 2015/1428 of 25 August 2015 amending Commission Regulation (EC) No 244/2009 with regard to ecodesign requirements for non-directional household lamps and Commission Regulation (EC) No 245/2009 with regard to ecodesign requirements for fluorescent lamps without integrated ballast, for high intensity discharge lamps, and for ballasts and luminaires able to operate such lamps and repealing Directive 2000/55/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council and Commission Regulation (EU) No 1194/2012 with regard to ecodesign requirements for directional lamps, light emitting diode lamps and related equipment.
- Directive 2002/95/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 January 2003 on the restriction of the use of certain hazardous substances in electrical and electronic equipment.
- The european council for an energy efficient economy eceee provides a status overview on all products in the Ecodesign & Energy Labelling process
- Coolproducts informs about the EU ecodesign process on lamps and other products. It is a coalition of NGOs' campaign for a stronger, fast Ecodesign Directive to save the climate and money.
Producers and retailers are kindly asked to contact info(at)topten.eu to inform about more products meeting the Topten selection criteria.