Selection Criteria Storage Refrigerators and Freezers
Topten.eu presents the most energy efficient professional storage refrigerators and freezers on the European market. All listed products use natural climate-friendly refrigerants.
The products listed:
- are plug-in cabinets (remote cabinets are not considered)
- are storage cabinets (not for the display to and access by customers)
- are available on the European market
All models on Topten.eu meet the following criteria:
- Natural refrigerant with global warming potential (GWP) below 150 (e.g. R290/propane, R600a/isobutane, R744/CO2)
- Energy efficiency index (EEI) according to EU regulation 2015/1094 not higher than given in the following table:
||Energy efficiency index
||Min. energy efficiency class
|Storage counter refrigerators
|Storage refrigerators 1-door
|Storage refrigerators 2-doors
|Storage counter freezers
|Storage freezers 1-door
|Storage freezers 2-doors
|Addition to the technical criteria
: Storage refrigerator-freezers and static storage cabinets are excempt from the EU energy label. In the Topten product lists they can nevertheless be listed, under the condition that their energy consumption is determined according to the here
mentioned harmonised testing standards. With the standard values, the energy efficiency index EEI can be calculated according to the EU energy label in the same way as for the other cabinets. Storage refrigerator-freezers are to be classified as vertical freezers for the calculation.
Topten accepted test standards
The test standards for the declaration of the energy consumption of storage refrigerators and freezers are regulated in EU regulation 2015/1094. Topten accepted standards for storage refrigerator-freezers and static storage cabinets can be found here.
Order of presentation
Products are ranked according to energy efficiency index. The order of presentation can be changed by clicking on the rows' headings. Compare models by checking them and clicking on compare.
EU energy label
Since 1 July 2016, the EU energy label for professional refrigerated storage cabinets are mandatory. It shows:
- the energy efficiency class,
- the annual electricity consumption in kWh per year,
- the sum of the net volumes of all chilled compartments functioning at chilled operating temperature,
- the sum of the net volumes of all chilled compartments functioning at frozen operating temperature,
- and the climate class (3, 4 or 5) together with the associated dry bulb temperature (in °C) and the relative humidity (in %).
Document: Commission delegated regulation (EU) 2015/1094
Brand, Model, Other models
Brand with link to website. All other models (different sizes etc.) that are named meet the Topten technical criteria as well.
Costs for electricity during product's life time. Assumptions:
- Typical life time: 8 years
- Annual energy consumption: Calculated according to EU energy label in kWh/year
- Tariff of electricity: 0.2 €/kWh (there however can be large differences depending on country or electrical utility)
Net volume in liters.
Storage temperature range in °C.
|Test room climate class
||Dry bulb temperature
Energy efficiency class
Energy efficiency class according to EU regulation 2015/1094. Most efficent is A+++ (no products available yet), least efficient is G.
Energy efficiency index
Energy efficiency index (EEI) according to EU regulation 2015/1094. Value in percent (%). The lower the value, the more efficient the product.
|Energy efficiency index
|Energy efficiency class
Annual energy consumption in kWh/year. Accepted measuring protocols see above.
- R600a (isobutane, natural climate-friendly refrigerant)
- R290 (propane, natural climate-friendly refrigerant)
- R744 (CO2, natural climate-friendly refrigerant)
- Inefficient models: R134a, R404A or R507 (fluorinated refrigerants with high global warming potential)
Width x depth x height in cm.
This item displays the availability of models in European countries according to producers’ information. "EU" means that the model is available in all or most European countries. If the model is available in a number of countries only they are indicated by country codes according to ISO. "On demand" means that producers could not indicate the availability and that consumers have to ask in their countries on their own.
- Commercial and Professional Refrigeration Products: Promoting Energy Efficiency with Legislation, Empowered Stakeholders and Rebates. Eva Geilinger, Eric Bush. EEDAL 2015, presentation and paper.
- Best available technology of plug-in refrigerated cabinets, beverage coolers and ice cream freezers and the challenges of measuring and comparing energy efficiency. Eva Geilinger, Martien Janssen, Per Henrik Pedersen, Paul Huggins, Eric Bush. EEDAL 2013, presentation and paper.
Standards and labels
Energy label and ecodesign requirements:
Other public product lists with standard data:
- EN 16825:2015 Refrigerated storage cabinets and counters for professional use - Classification, requirements and test conditions
- European Committee for Standardization (CEN) and European Committee for Electrotechnical Standardization (CENELEC), CEN-CENELEC
- eceee, the european council for an energy efficient economy, provides a status overview on all products in the Ecodesign & Energy Labelling process.
- Coolproducts informs about the EU ecodesign process. It is a coalition of NGOs' campaign for a stronger, fast Ecodesign Directive to save the climate and money.
Manufacturers and dealers are kindly asked to contact info(at)topten.eu to inform about more products meeting the Topten selection criteria.