Selection Criteria Minibars
Topten.eu presents the most energy efficient minibars on the European market. Only A+, A++ and A+++ models are listed on topten.eu. All listed products use natural climate-friendly refrigerants.
All minibars on www.topten.eu meet the following criteria:
* Peltier-type (thermoelectric) minibars do not contain any refrigerant.
- Minimum energy efficiency class A+
- Natural refrigerant with global warming potential (GWP) below 150 such as R290/propane or R600a/isobutane, if compression-type*
Order of presentation
Products are ranked according to their energy index. The order of presentation can be changed by clicking on the rows' headings. Compare models by checking them and clicking on compare.
Brand, Model, Other models
Brand with link to website, model name. Other very similar products are listed as other models.
Costs for electricity during product's life time. Assumptions:
- Typical life time: 10 years
- Annual energy consumption: according to the EU energy label in kWh/year
- Tariff of electricity: 0.2 €/kWh (there however can be large differences depending on country or electrical utility)
Net volume, Gross volume
Net/gross volume in liters.
Energy efficiency class
Energy efficiency class according to the EU energy label. Most efficent is A+++, least efficient is D. (For absorption-type and thermoelectric-type refrigerating appliances E, F and G have been phased out, while for compression-type all but A+ or better have been phased out.)
Energy Efficiency Index
Energy Efficiency Index (EEI) according to the EU energy label. Value in percent (%). The lower the value, the more efficient the product.
Annual energy consumption in kWh/year according to the EU energy label.
|Energy efficiency class
||EU energy label
- R600a (isobutane, natural climate-friendly refrigerant)
- R290 (propane, natural climate-friendly refrigerant)
- R717 (ammonia, natural climate-friendly refrigerant) - for absorption-type
- Absorption: Conventional type for minibars. Silent; not energy efficient.
- Thermoelectric: Used for minibars and wine coolers. Also called Peltier-type. Silent; good energy efficiency possible, however efficiency decreases when the difference between storage and ambient temperature is high.
- Compression: Conventional type for most household and commercial refrigerating appliances. Very energy efficient; compressor makes noise, therefore installation with timer programme or presence control to ensure silence in presence of hotel guests.
- silent (if absorption-type or thermoelectric-type)
- silent through timer programme or presence detector, special cold reserve
- Airborne acoustical noise emissions expressed in dB(A) according to the EU energy label
This item displays the availability of models in European countries according to producers’ information. "EU" means that the model is available in all or most European countries. If the model is available in a number of countries only they are indicated by country codes according to ISO. "On demand" means that producers could not indicate the availability and that consumers have to ask in their countries on their own.
- Commercial and Professional Refrigeration Products: Promoting Energy Efficiency with Legislation, Empowered Stakeholders and Rebates. Eva Geilinger, Eric Bush. EEDAL 2015, presentation and paper.
- Best available technology of plug-in refrigerated cabinets, beverage coolers and ice cream freezers and the challenges of measuring and comparing energy efficiency. Eva Geilinger, Martien Janssen, Per Henrik Pedersen, Paul Huggins, Eric Bush. EEDAL 2013, presentation and paper.
Standards and labels
- Commission delegated regulation (EU) No 1060/2010 of 28 September 2010 supplementing Directive 2010/30/EU of the European Parliament and of the Council with regard to energy labelling of household refrigerating appliances.
- Commission regulation (EC) No 643/2009 of 22 July 2009 implementing Directive 2005/32/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council with regard to ecodesign requirements for household refrigerating appliances.
- eceee, the european council for an energy efficient economy, provides a status overview on all products in the Ecodesign & Energy Labelling process.
- Coolproducts informs about the EU ecodesign process. It is a coalition of NGOs' campaign for a stronger, fast Ecodesign Directive to save the climate and money.
Manufacturers and dealers are kindly asked to contact info(at)topten.eu to inform about more products meeting the Topten selection criteria.
09/2015 Geilinger, Bush